Full Frame tests - Method

Equipment

I used my Pentax Z-1p 35mm film camera.

For some tests I also used my Kenko P-AF 1.4x TELEPLUS MC4 teleconverter.

Shooting

I first shot a wall of my house in daylight, both with and without a tripod, and, except for the two longest lenses, without a lenshood (except where one was built-in).

But I mostly shot a simple target indoors illuminated by the modelling lights of two studio lights, using a tripod but not a lenshood (except where one was built-in). I used autofocus, except for two SDM-only lenses where I had to manually focus. I used aperture priority throughout. No filters (of any kind) were used. When I used a tripod, hence for all shots of the target, I used 2-second delay (which raises the mirror in advance) to reduce camera shake.

I made some errors while shooting, for example sometimes leaving the lenshood on when shooting the wall, and cases of camera shake and inaccurate focusing. It is unlikely that I will ever re-shoot those cases. This was a one-off exercise, and mostly I've learned what I set out to learn.

Processing

I used (slightly outdated) Kodak Ektar colour negative films, and had these commercially processed and scanned to about 16 MP. These scans are 4976px by 3300px TIFFs of about 45 MB each.

I converted these to JPEGs of the same resolution, hence about 4 MB or so each. I superimposed a rectangle corresponding to the size of an APS-C sensor onto each image so that the edge and corner definition of the lenses in their designated environment can be seen. These are the JPEGs linked to from the pages-per-lens.

Results

There are 99 images, 45 of which used a Teleconverter:

  • 18 of a brick wall with just the lens
  • 10 of a brick wall with lens plus 1.4x Teleconverter
  • 36 of a simple target with just the lens
  • 35 of a simple target with lens plus 1.4x Teleconverter

(I own the copyright of all these images. Anyone is free to use them to add value to this topic, as long as they give my name and provide a link to the index page).